Sunday 30 November 2014

A Novice Spinner

When I was 16 or so, I had a go on a spinning wheel. I thought this is fun and would love to learn, and thought one day! Then 30 years ago while travelling through England, came across an affordable spinning wheel in kit form that I could s...end back home..... and I did just that.

So I had a dabble with it and spun up some very chunky uneven yarn, and managed to knit a back and 1 sleeve of jumper..... then I married and had kids and one day found that some bugs had found my fleece and made it there home.... so into the bin it went. My wheel then made a fine ornament in the house.

So almost 30 years later, I had a play and found it was very squeaky and bits were missing, so off to the spinning hospital!

It is still a little squeaky, if you do not find the sweet spot, but I have managed to spin up some (still chunky and uneven) Alpaca/Merino rolags and made myself a Cowl.... yes I know it has just turned Summer, but it will be great when Winter comes around all too soon.
(By the way the buttons are some of my home made gum tree buttons - so I am feeling very 'River Cottage' today!)

So my early New Years resolution is to really dive in and get the hang of this spinner caper!



No comments:

Post a Comment