Sunday 29 March 2015

A little Weaving!

Back in January, I went down the supermarket with my husband, and on the drive back, I wanted to go another way..... lucky we did..... as I spotted this sad looking 4-shaft loom on the side of the road. I could just feel my husbands eyes roll as I turned to say.... STOP!!!.... So a knock on the door, to do the right thing, and a few minutes later, it was in my seat all buckled in, and I had to walk home (with a spring in my step, I must add).

So first a little history, I have... wanted a proper weaving loom since way back in the 80s, however could not justify the new addition to my other textile related items, also the expense with a new home, husband, and soon children... plus did not have the time for more crafty stuff anyway.

However, back in 2013 I won a competition, for one of the new 'Sampleit' 20cm Looms from Ashford.... yay!!!! 

 Finally, a step in the direction of an almost proper loom.... then I picked up an 80cm wide Ashford Rigid Heddle Loom for only $50..... yay!!!! A great width to do some weaving.


...... and now this 60cm 4-shaft 'fixer upper' for $0! (I did spend about $120 to upgrade to Texolv heddles, a new reed & other bits and bobs).

4-shaft weaving is very new to me and I will have to do some serious setting up to do some cool designs, but it is all fixed up and ready to go!

(For the benefit of my sister-in-law.... it might not be a 'stor vävstol', but this is the next best thing that I can justify getting into the house!)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment