Monday 27 October 2014

Bohus Stickning


Bohuslan is an area of Sweden I have visited twice over the last 5 years. Having a Swedish sister-in-law helps!
 
Since Scandinavia has such a long tradition in Colour Knitting, it is to be expected that different regions have different designs. So I will focus on Bohus Knitting since I have a connection here.

Bohus Stickning (knitting in Swedish) started in the 1930s and 1940s by one woman’s attempt to provide relief work for local woman during the depression. Her name was Emma Jacobsson.
 
Their designs vary greatly, however my observation over all is that they have rather intricate patterns, yet are generally only 2 colours per row and a max of 3 colours at times. Patterns are often small and repetitious so easy to keep up with.

These Swatches are typical colour work produced during this time, and show very different yet unique styles. Their unique styles are a combination of various designers from the region. After the war, the industry changed as with other countries and the small cottage industries developed and become the produces of fine knitwear and marketed internationally.
 
 


More examples have been digitized on this link:
http://digitaltmuseum.se/things/mnsterritning/S-BM/UM031533/gallery?js=1&query=bohus+stickning&search_context=1&page=2&count=121&pos=42

There is also now a book(in English) to help preserve and spread the word about these unique designs. (Also Pictured). The book is half history with pictures of the garments showing their style and then the later half is garment patterns.
 
What I also love about their designs is that the pattern work is not just on the yoke neck line or all over. Some patterns run vertically along the band of a cardigan, and my favourite on the cowl collar of a jumper!
 
Lastly on my trip last year I visited the Uddavella Museum, and was lucky enough to see some of the garments on display, I took a sneaking photo on my phone of one style I really loved (turned out blurred so karma I guess) … but it is pictured in the book, no pattern, but with the information provided I am sure I can adapt…. you guessed it, one with a cowl collar). This I will not start until next year, but I will post it eventually!
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment