Thursday 28 August 2014

Materials for Macramé

Other than the books and board that mum had from her Macramé years, all I have left of the actual craft is the pictured macramé covered bottle...... but you know, I am happy not to have the belts and wall-hangings, as they would have been a... bit dated now. This bottle though I loved back then and still do, and there is another bottle at my brother's place, equally as nice!

So I have collected a couple of bottles along the way, that I planned to cover.... although I have had them for a few years now and still have not find the time. Now though I feel I have set myself the challenge to cover them and then I can show everyone here how they turn out..... as long as you do not laugh!

So now to figure out what to cover them with, as Macramé supplies are not what they were in the 70s! Also picture is what Semco had on range back then, along with all the wooden beads, were all the rage.

Recently there are some great twine, in general finer, but great colours and variations. Hemptique -
http://hemptique.net/ - have great twines, and now there is a couple of other brands that are also producing similar type ranges. I love this stuff for Macramé, and often in the floristry section of craft stores, one can find great twine too.

Then there is Micro Macramé, or Cavandoli knotting, where finer thread is used such as crochet cotton. This is however a whole other wonderful world and a topic for later.

So now I am off think about how I am going to cover one of my bottles!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment