Thursday 28 August 2014

Macramé & Thérèse de Dillmont

There have been numerous posts floating around Facebook, along the lines of “If you could speak with anyone that has passed who would it be?” or the quizzes “Who were you in a past life?”
Well this was rather an appropriate line of thought ...
whilst visiting the cemetery today, and I have decided that I would like to have been Thérèse de Dillmont.

Here is a little bit about her……
http://www.annatextiles.ch/biograph/dillmont/dillmo.htm

Not much, but she has certainly made her mark in the history of Needlework and Handcrafts.

I have long been referring to her books as I learn and develop skills in craft and Macramé is no exception. Pictured is a very early edition of the ‘Encyclopaedia of Needlework’, this book came to me from my mum via either her mother, or my father’s mother, and possibly further back. However, mum was the first to write her name in it. The book is well worn and fortunately they are still producing the same book(also in 17 languages!), so I carefully preserved the old one, and now I use my very large new one! Also pictured is just the Macrame pages plus a little extra that was also produce by D.M.C., another of their publications thanks to Thérèse.

Surprisingly enough I just found the book pages available on the internet. I guess due to its age, it is public domain now…… of course there is nothing like a real book to flick through!
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/20776/20776-h/20776-h.htm

So to be a well-respected member of the craft world such as Thérèse de Dillmont. would be an honor, and if I could learn and share half as much as she did, I would be doing pretty well!

Tomorrow a little bit about the basics of Macramé, for it really is easy to get started!

No comments:

Post a Comment